- The qualifications of the school staff providing instruction to their child.
- Their child's level of achievement in each state academic assessment.
- Whether their child has been assigned to or has been taught for four or more consecutive weeks by a teacher of a core academic subject who is not highly qualified.
- Whether the teacher has met state qualifications and licensing criteria for the grade level and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction.
- Whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or other provisional status through which state qualification or licensing criteria have been waived.
- The baccalaureate degree major of the teacher and any graduate certification or degree held by the teacher and the field of discipline of the certification or degree.
- Whether the child is provided services by paraprofessionals and if so their qualifications.
As a parent of a student in the Smyrna School District you have the right to know the professional qualifications of the classroom teachers who instruct your child. Federal law allows you to ask for certain information about your child’s classroom teachers, and requires us to give you the information in a timely manner if you ask for it. Specifically, you have the right to ask for the following information about each of your child’s classroom teachers:
- Whether the Delaware Department of Education has licensed or qualified the teacher for the grades and subjects he or she teaches.
- Whether the Delaware Department of Education has decided that the teacher can teach in a classroom without being licensed or qualified under state regulations because of special circumstances.
- The teacher’s college major; whether the teacher has any advanced degrees and, if so, the subject of the degrees.
- Whether any teachers’ aides or similar paraprofessionals provide Title I services to your child and, if they do, their qualifications.
If you are unable to obtain the necessary information, you may call you child’s principal for this information, or our Personnel Office at (302) 653-8585.
The Smyrna School District does not discriminate in employment, educational programs, services or activities based on race, color, marital status, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other protected category or status in accordance with state and federal laws.
Inquiries should be directed to the District Superintendent. 82 Monrovia Ave, Smyrna, Delaware 19977, or telephone (302) 653-8585